Saturday, November 15, 2008

Three Generations, No Imbeciles


The November 2008 issue of The Internet Review of Books published my review of Three Generations, No Imbeciles, which covers the eugenics movement here in the US as well as the specific case of Carrie Buck, who was sterilized because she was considered morally and mentally unfit to bear children. Not cheery stuff, but as someone noted today, it's not the type of history you learn in school.

This is my 14th contribution to the IRB, where I can also yahoo because they allow me to play webmaster. My pay is zero, but the editor has promised me a 10 percent raise if I continue to behave.

3 comments:

Bob Sanchez said...

In a comment on the IRB site, lynne hinkey wrote:

Your review left me speechless, Bob. Hard to believe how far awry 'good intentions' can go. I want to read this and learn more about a part of US history that seldom gets told, although I'm sure it will, as you said, make me angry.

Ruth L.~ said...

Bob I'll double Carter's raise if you stick with us. Where would we be without you?

Gilion at Rose City Reader said...

I read your review on the IRB site. CREEPY! But fascinating. Sounds like a good read.