Monday, April 29, 2013

Y is for Yellowstone


Yellowstone is the first and perhaps the greatest of the national parks in the U.S. We RV'd there in 2009 with the Old Faithful geyser in mind, but that's just one of many memorable features. A century or so ago, a geologist realized that the entire park sits inside a giant volcano that seems to be taking a breather before blowing up again. There the earth bubbles and boils, giving off sulfurous gases and a multitude of small geysers, some of them more "faithful" in their eruptions that Old Faithful. One day, Nature may assert herself and wreak total destruction over the region. I hope that will be many centuries in the future. In the meantime, it's a wondrous place.





7 comments:

Ella said...

Gorgeous! I have always wanted to visit this amazing park~
I love what you shared :D
Thank you!

Jolie du Pre said...

As much as I travel, it's a shame that I've never been to Yellowstone.

Mark Means said...

Kind of scary to think the whole place may blow again...

I'd still like to visit someday, though.

Nancy Jardine Author said...

Hi Bob. I'm returning your visit to my A to Z blog. I've never been to Yellowstone but I did drive into Yosemite Dec 2010. Unfortunately due to the snow we could only drive in a tiny bit. But... since we were en route from Los Gatos in California, leaving 26th Dec, and were due in Vancouver, Canada, for New Year we had a fantastic drive up the west coast. Yellowstone is for another day?Nancy at Welcome to she said, he said


Notes Along the Way with Mary Montague Sikes said...

Those mudpots are gorgeous. I have a whole series of photos of them. Some of them look surreal and are like paintings!

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Mary Montague Sikes

Anonymous said...

Congratulations in completing the A to Z Challenge.

Yvonne
A to Z AMBASSADOR.

Heidiwriter said...

LOVE Yellowstone--of course it's part of my home state Montana's heritage!